Russia: Police raid company working on 2014 Sochi Olympics

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 23 May 2013
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Russia: Police raid company working on 2014 Sochi Olympics, 23 May 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/51a47a3c18.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

May 23, 2013

By RFE/RL's Russian Service

The Bolshoi Ice Dome, one of the venues for the 2014 Winter OlympicsThe Bolshoi Ice Dome, one of the venues for the 2014 Winter Olympics

SOCHI, Russia – Armed and masked police have searched the offices of a company involved in developing sports facilities for the 2014 Winter Olympics in the Russian city of Sochi.

The general director of the Mostovik Construction Company, Oleg Shishov, told journalists that police blocked off the whole area surrounding his company's offices on May 23.

An RFE/RL correspondent said he saw law-enforcement officers seizing company documents.

Shishov denied reports that the search might be connected with an investigation launched last year into allegations that company executives embezzled 2 billion rubles ($64 million).

According to Shishov, the search has nothing to do with the earlier investigation.

Sochi will host the 22nd Winter Olympics in February 2014.

Russia's Finance Ministry is providing funding worth billions of U.S. dollars for the development and hosting of the Olympics.

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics