Afghanistan: Taliban releases four remaining Turkish engineers
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 14 May 2013 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghanistan: Taliban releases four remaining Turkish engineers, 14 May 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/51a47a02184.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
May 14, 2013
The Taliban says it has released the four remaining Turks held hostage since their helicopter crashed in eastern Afghanistan last month.
In an emailed statement issued on May 14, the Taliban said the remaining four Turkish nationals were released "as a sign of goodwill and as an Islamic and humanitarian gesture of respect."
Four other Turkish engineers aboard the helicopter were freed on May 12.
The eight Turkish engineers were seized when bad weather forced their helicopter to make an emergency landing in Afghanistan's Logar Province on April 21.
An Afghan translator and two pilots – one from Russia and one from Kyrgyzstan – were seized along with the Turks.
The Taliban's statement did not make any reference to the Afghan translator and the two pilots.
Based on reporting by AFP and Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website