NATO: No evidence for Afghan claims of misconduct

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 25 February 2013
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, NATO: No evidence for Afghan claims of misconduct, 25 February 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/513dd1c521.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

February 25, 2013

By RFE/RL

General Gunter KatzGeneral Gunter Katz

A spokesman for NATO-led coalition troops in Afghanistan says no evidence has been found so far to support Afghan allegations of misconduct by U.S. special forces in Wardak Province, west of Kabul.

General Gunter Katz's statement comes a day after President Hamid Karzai ordered all U.S. Special Forces to leave Wardak within 14 days because of allegations that Afghans working with them were torturing and abusing other Afghans.

Katz said that NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) will work with the government to respond to its concerns.

But he added that ISAF cannot comment further until NATO meets to discuss the issue with the Afghan government.

Katz also praised the Afghan security forces, which he said "are fighting well."

With reporting by AP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries