Syria's UN ambassador condemns Aleppo attack
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 16 January 2013 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Syria's UN ambassador condemns Aleppo attack, 16 January 2013, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5122356a28.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
January 16, 2013
Security personnel and civilians gather at the site where two explosions rocked Aleppo University.
Syria's ambassador to the United Nations has condemned as a "cowardly terrorist act" an attack at a university in Syria's biggest city, Aleppo.
Bashar Ja'afari said the explosions at Aleppo University on January 15 killed 82 students and wounded 162 more.
It was unclear what caused the blasts. The government and opposition blamed each other.
The UN says some 60,000 people have been killed during the nearly two-year revolt against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
The UN's special envoy for children and armed conflict, Leila Zerrougui, said more than 20 children had been killed and many injured in air strikes and other attacks over the past few days in and around the capital, Damascus.
Meanwhile, Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi is in Tehran for talks with Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad and other high-ranking officials.
Iran is one of the few allies the isolated Assad has left.
Based on reporting by AP and Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website