Russia ready to start rearmament
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 25 October 2012 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Russia ready to start rearmament, 25 October 2012, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5090e5a9c.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
October 25, 2012
A MIG-35 fighter jet at an air show in 2009
The head of the company that manufactures MiG warplanes says he expects the Russian Air Force will start receiving new MiG-35 fighters in 2014.
Sergei Korotkov said he expected final contracts for the deal would be signed with Russia's Defense Ministry on October 25.
Korotkov's comments come after the chairman of the Russian Duma's Defense Committee, Vladimir Komoyedov, said on October 24 that Russia would spend around 100 billion rubles (about $3.2 billion) on its nuclear weapons force by 2015.
President Vladimir Putin announced during his campaign for reelection earlier this year that Russia would spend about $770 billion on rearming its military over the next 10 years.
Based on reporting by Interfax and ITAR-TASS
Link to original story on RFE/RL website