Security official at U.S. embassy killed in Yemen
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 11 October 2012 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Security official at U.S. embassy killed in Yemen, 11 October 2012, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5089071dc.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
October 11, 2012
A Yemeni national working on security issues with the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa has been killed in a drive-by shooting.
Reports said Qassem Aqlani was shot dead by a man on a motorbike early on October 11 in the capital, Sanaa, while on his way to work.
Aqlani had reportedly worked for 20 years in the embassy and acted as a coordinator between the mission and the Yemeni government.
No group has yet announced it carried out the killing, but some local officials said it bore the signs of an Al-Qaeda operation.
The attack came after crowds protesting against an anti-Islam film made in the United States briefly stormed the embassy grounds last month, before being driven back by security forces.
The attack also came as Yemen's government is waging an offensive against Al-Qaeda's branch in the country.
Based on reporting by AP and dpa
Link to original story on RFE/RL website