Al-Qaeda deputy regional leader reported killed in Yemen
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 10 September 2012 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Al-Qaeda deputy regional leader reported killed in Yemen, 10 September 2012, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/5052e2dec.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
September 10, 2012
A Yemeni government website says armed forces have killed Said al-Shehri, described as the second-in-command of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
The Defense Ministry website said on September 10 that Shehri was killed along with six other militants in an army operation in a remote region in eastern Yemen where the government has been fighting militants for months.
It gave no more details.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, security officials said Shehri was killed in an air strike believed to have been carried out by a U.S. drone.
Shehri was described as a Saudi national who was released from detention in the U.S. facility at Guantanamo Bay in 2007.
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula is described by Washington as the most dangerous wing of the Islamist militant network.
The United States has previously used unmanned drones to target members of the group.
Based on reporting by Reuters, AFP, and the BBC
Link to original story on RFE/RL website