Afghan senate chairman confirms threatening messages
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 19 May 2012 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan senate chairman confirms threatening messages, 19 May 2012, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4fbcc8f1a.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
May 19, 2012
The chairman of Afghanistan's Senate, Fazal Hadi Muslimyar, has confirmed that senators received threats regarding a strategic agreement with United States.
But Muslimyar told RFE/RL on May 19 that the threats would "not affect the approval or disapproval of the document."
A number of parliament members have recently said they have received messages on their mobile phones saying they would be "targeted" if they approved the strategic partnership agreement.
They said the messages had been sent by the previously unknown "Mullah Dadullah Front."
Mullah Dadullah was a senior Taliban commander who has killed in a U.S.-led attack in 2007.
The strategic partnership agreement signed by the Afghan and U.S. presidents earlier this month covers relations between the two countries when NATO forces pull out in 2014.
Link to original story on RFE/RL website