Iraq: Al-Qaeda claims responsibility for Baghdad bombings

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 27 December 2011
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iraq: Al-Qaeda claims responsibility for Baghdad bombings, 27 December 2011, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4f1431edb.html [accessed 17 September 2023]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

December 27, 2011

The Al-Qaeda in Iraq group has claimed responsibility for a wave of bombings in Baghdad last week that killed 69 people and wounded some 200 more.

The self-proclaimed Islamic State of Iraq group posted a message on the Internet that said the group knows "where and when to strike."

The statement called the attacks the "Thursday invasion" and said the bombings were meant to support the Sunni population – "Sunnis in prison and in memory of those who were executed" – who were victims of the "pernicious Iranian project," alluding to Iran's growing influence among the majority Shi'ite population.

The statement referred to a suicide car bombing in Baghdad's Karrada district, part of a series of attacks on markets, grocery stores, cafes, and government buildings, mostly in Shi'ite neighborhoods.

The statement warned the Islamic State of Iraq would "never stand with their hands tied."

The attacks were the first major attacks since U.S. forces completed their withdrawal earlier this month.

compiled from agency reports

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries