Afghan, foreign forces kill 50-60 Taliban
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 9 November 2011 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan, foreign forces kill 50-60 Taliban, 9 November 2011, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4ec5045d19.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
November 09, 2011
The attack involved Afghan and foreign troops (file photo)
A provincial government spokesman says that Afghan and NATO-led troops have killed 50 to 60 Taliban fighters during an attack by insurgents on a base in a volatile eastern province of Afghanistan near the border with Pakistan.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed there had been an attack on November 8 on a base in the Barmal district of the eastern Paktika Province.
Mukhlis Afghan, a spokesman for the Paktika governor, put the number of Taliban fighters killed between 50 and 60.
An ISAF spokesman said a large group of insurgents attacked the ISAF base using small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.
ISAF troops fought back, causing "significant" casualties among the insurgents. He said two buildings used by insurgents were destroyed in the fighting, which included ISAF air strikes, but said there had been no reports of civilian casualties.
Reuters
Link to original story on RFE/RL website