Uzbek man charged over Obama threats
| Publisher | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty |
| Publication Date | 27 July 2011 |
| Cite as | Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Uzbek man charged over Obama threats, 27 July 2011, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/4e4a29041e.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
July 27, 2011
A U.S. federal grand jury has indicted an Uzbek man for allegedly threatening to kill President Barack Obama and possessing illegal firearms.
U.S. officials said a grand jury in Birmingham, in the southern state of Alabama, indicted Ulugbek Kodirov, 21, on July 26 on four counts of threatening Obama on four separate occasions earlier this month.
The statement gave no details about the alleged threats.
It said the Uzbek was charged with "repeatedly threatening to kill the president of the United States and with possessing grenades and an M15 machine gun."
The statement said Kodirov was arrested on July 13 at a motel in Leeds, Alabama, after buying the gun from an undercover agent who was working with U.S. authorities.
He faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison on each count of threatening Obama, and 10 years for each weapons charge.
Officials said Kodirov has been living in the United States illegally after his student visa was revoked in April, 2010, after he failed to enroll in school.
compiled from agency reports
Link to original story on RFE/RL website