Authorities in Azerbaijan lift ban on independent broadcaster
| Publisher | EurasiaNet |
| Author | Rovshan Ismayilov |
| Publication Date | 11 December 2006 |
| Cite as | EurasiaNet, Authorities in Azerbaijan lift ban on independent broadcaster, 11 December 2006, available at: https://www.refworld.org/docid/46f258c823.html [accessed 17 September 2023] |
| Disclaimer | This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States. |
Rovshan Ismayilov 12/11/06
In a partial victory for free-speech in Azerbaijan, regulatory authorities in Baku have reconsidered a decision to shut down an independent broadcaster. ANS television and radio is now expected to be back on the air December 12.
The decision to restore ANS' broadcasting licenses was taken during extraordinary session of Azerbaijan's National Radio and Television Council (NRTC) on December 11, the entity's chairman, Nushiravan Maharramli, announced during a news conference. "Taking into account President Ilham Aliyev's position, and the numerous appeals we have received, as well as to encourage harmony in society, we have decided to permit ANS to resume broadcasting," Maharramli stated.
The restoration is provisional, according to Maharramli. ANS will be allowed to broadcast on its existing frequencies until the completion of a new tender process for those same frequencies. The tender was announced in early December and submissions are due January 5, 2007. Azerbaijani authorities are expected to announce the winner within a month after the submission deadline. The NRTC chief said that ANS would be allowed to participate in the tender, and he indicated that it could very well win the right to retain the rights to the broadcasting frequencies.
Rumors circulated in Baku earlier in December that ANS' broadcast rights would be restored, provided that the company underwent a change in management. Another rumor suggested that the channel would resume telecasts only after popular public affairs programs – often critical of government policies – were removed from the regular programming lineup.
During his news conference, Maharramli denied such pre-conditions had been imposed on ANS. "The only condition is that the tender take place and that ANS take part in it," Maharramli said.
ANS company representatives declined to comment on the NRTC's December 11 decision. However, a source at the broadcaster told EurasiaNet that "ANS' leadership is now composing a letter of gratitude to President Ilham Aliyev and the NRTC's chairman." The letter's contents will be released publicly on December 12, the source said.
Some political observers say they will closely monitor ANS content in the coming days for evidence of a hidden deal. "We need to watch ANS tomorrow and see what has changed there if any. The whole story was not transparent. So, only by monitoring of ANS programs we will be able to make comments on what has happened," said a Baku-based political analyst, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Before its removal from the air in late November, ANS had been considered one of the most watched and listened to broadcasters in Azerbaijan. The revocation of ANS' licenses produced outrage among domestic critics of President Aliyev's administration, and prompted criticism by foreign governments. [For background see the Eurasia Insight archive].
The NRTC's reversal caught many observers by surprise. Just days before the announcement of ANS' restoration, Maharramli had gone on record as stating that the broadcaster would never be restored.
In appealing the suspension of its licenses, ANS executives had sounded a contrite note. In a letter to Maharramli, they stated that "probably, sometimes we expressed maximalism, were very emotional, and sometimes made some mistakes." If the licenses are restored, "we promise to better obey the law," the letter added.
Editor's Note: Rovshan Ismayilov is a freelance reporter based in Baku.
Posted December 11, 2006 © Eurasianet