Security Council resolution 288 (1970) [Southern Rhodesia]
|Publisher||UN Security Council|
|Publication Date||17 November 1970|
|Citation / Document Symbol||S/RES/288 (1970)|
|Reference||1970 Security Council Resolutions|
|Cite as||UN Security Council, Security Council resolution 288 (1970) [Southern Rhodesia], 17 November 1970, S/RES/288 (1970), available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3b00f20c24.html [accessed 18 January 2017]|
Resolution 288 (1970) of 17 November 1970
The Security Council,
Having considered the question of Southern Rhodesia,
Reaffirming its resolutions 216 (1965) of 12 November 1965, 217 (1965) of 20 November 1965, 221 (1966) of 9 April 1966, 232 (1966) of 16 December 1966, 253 (1968) of 29 May 1968 and 277 (1970) of 18 March 1970,
Gravely concerned that certain States have not complied with the provisions of resolutions 232 (1966), 253 (1968) and 277 (1970), contrary to their obligations under Article 25 of the Charter of the United Nations,
Reaffirming the primary responsibility of the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to enable the people of Southern Rhodesia to achieve self-determination and independence, and in particular their responsibility of bringing the illegal declaration of independence to an end,
Taking into account the third report of the Committee established in pursuance of Security Council resolution 253 (1968),
Acting in accordance with previous decisions of the Security Council on Southern Rhodesia, taken under Chapter VII of the Charter,
1. Reaffirms its condemnation of the illegal declaration of independence in Southern Rhodesia;
2. Calls upon the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as the administering Power in the discharge of its responsibility, to take urgent and effective measures to bring to an end the illegal rebellion in Southern Rhodesia and enable the people to exercise their right to self-determination, in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations and in conformity with the objectives of General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960,
3. Decides that the present sanctions against Southern Rhodesia shall remain in force;
4. Urges all States to fully implement all Security Council resolutions pertaining to Southern Rhodesia, in accordance with their obligations under Article 25 of the Charter, and deplores the attitude of those States which have persisted in giving moral, political and economic assistance to the illegal régime;
5. Further urges all States, in furtherance of the objectives of the Security Council, not to grant any form of recognition to the illegal régime in Southern Rhodesia;
6. Decides to remain actively seized of the matter.
Adopted unanimously at the 1555th meeting.
1 Ibid., document S/9844 and Add.1-3.