Security Council resolution 424 (1978) [Southern Rhodesia-Zambia]
|Publisher||UN Security Council|
|Publication Date||17 March 1978|
|Citation / Document Symbol||S/RES/424 (1978)|
|Reference||1978 Security Council Resolutions|
|Cite as||UN Security Council, Security Council resolution 424 (1978) [Southern Rhodesia-Zambia], 17 March 1978, S/RES/424 (1978), available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3b00f16936.html [accessed 20 August 2017]|
Resolution 424 (1978) of 17 March 1978
The Security Council,
Taking note of the letter from the representative of the Republic of Zambia contained in document S/12589,
Having considered the statement of the Minister for Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Zambia,
Gravely concerned at the numerous hostile and unprovoked acts of aggression by the illegal minority régime in Southern Rhodesia violating the sovereignty, air space and territorial integrity of the Republic of Zambia, resulting in the death and injury of innocent people, as well as the destruction of property, and culminating on 6 March 1978 in the armed invasion of Zambia,
Reaffirming the inalienable right of the people of Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) to self-determination and independence in accordance with General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960, and the legitimacy of their struggle to secure the enjoyment of such rights as set forth in the Charter of the United Nations,
Recalling its resolution 423 (1978) of 14 March 1978, in which, inter alia, it declared as illegal and unacceptable any internal settlement concluded under the auspices of the illegal régime and called upon all States not to accord any recognition to such a settlement,
Further recalling its resolutions 326 (1973) of 2 February 1973, 403 (1977) of 14 January, 406 (1977) of 25 May and 411 (1977) of 30 June 1977, in which it condemned the illegal régime in Southern Rhodesia for its acts of aggression against Zambia, Botswana and Mozambique,
Conscious that the liberation of Zimbabwe and Namibia and the elimination of apartheid in South Africa are necessary for the attainment of justice and lasting peace in the region and in the furtherance of international peace and security,
Reaffirming that the existence of the minority racist régime in Southern Rhodesia and the continuance of its acts of aggression against Zambia and other neighbouring States constitute a threat to international peace and security,
Conscious of the need to take effective steps for the prevention and removal of threats to international peace and security,
1. Strongly condemns the recent armed invasion perpetrated by the illegal racist minority régime in the British colony of Southern Rhodesia against the Republic of Zambia, which constitutes a flagrant violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Zambia;
2. Commends the Republic of Zambia and other front-line States for their continued support of the people of Zimbabwe in their just and legitimate struggle for the attainment of freedom and independence and for their scrupulous restraint in the face of provocation by the Rhodesian rebels;
3. Reaffirms that the liberation of Namibia and Zimbabwe and the elimination of apartheid in South Africa are necessary for the attainment of justice and lasting peace in the region;
4. Calls upon the Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, as the administering Power, to take prompt effective measures to bring to a speedy end the existence of the illegal racist minority régime in the rebel colony of Southern Rhodesia, thereby ensuring the speedy attainment of independence under genuine majority rule and thus contributing to the promotion of durable peace and security in the region;
5. Decides that, in the event of further acts of violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Zambia by the illegal racist minority régime in Southern Rhodesia, the Security Council will meet again to consider the adoption of more effective measures, in accordance with the appropriate provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, including Chapter VII thereof.
Adopted unanimously at the 2070th meeting.
1 Ibid., document S/12601.
2 Ibid., Thirty-third Year, 2068th meeting.