Security Council resolution 407 (1977) [Lesotho-South Africa]
|Publisher||UN Security Council|
|Publication Date||25 May 1977|
|Citation / Document Symbol||S/RES/407 (1977)|
|Reference||1977 Security Council Resolutions|
|Cite as||UN Security Council, Security Council resolution 407 (1977) [Lesotho-South Africa], 25 May 1977, S/RES/407 (1977), available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3b00f1786c.html [accessed 27 May 2017]|
Resolution 407 (1977) of 25 May 1977
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolution 402 (1977)of 22 December 1976,
Taking note of the letter dated 18 April 1977 addressed to all States by the Secretary-General in accordance with paragraph 8 of resolution 402 (1976),
Having examined the report of the Mission to Lesotho, appointed by the Secretary-General in accordance with resolution 402 (1976),
Having heard the statement of the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Lesotho,
Noting with deep concern the continued acts of coercion and harassment against the people of Lesotho by South Africa in complete disregard of resolution 402 (1976),
Reaffirming its endorsement of General Assembly resolution 31/6 A of 26 October 1976 on the so-called independent Transkei and other bantustans,
Fully aware that the decision of the Government of Lesotho not to recognize the bantustan Transkei has imposed a special economic burden on Lesotho,
Convinced that international solidarity with Lesotho, as a neighbouring State of South Africa, is essential to counteract effectively South Africa's policy to coerce Lesotho into recognizing the so-called independent Transkei,
1. Commends the Government of Lesotho for its decision not to recognize the so-called independent Transkei;
2. Expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General for having arranged to send a Mission to Lesotho to ascertain the assistance needed;
3. Takes note with satisfaction of the report of the Mission to Lesotho;
4. Fully endorses the assessment and recommendations of the Mission to Lesotho under resolution 402 (1976);
5. Further fully endorses the appeal made by the Secretary-General in his letter of 18 April 1977 to all States for immediate financial, technical and material assistance to Lesotho;
6. Welcomes the establishment by the Secretary-General of a special account at Headquarters to receive contributions to Lesotho;
7. Requests the United Nations and the organizations and programmes concerned, including the Economic and Social Council, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the International Fund for Agricultural Development, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, the United Nations Development Programme and the World Health Organization, to assist Lesotho in the fields identified in the report of the Mission to Lesotho;
8. Requests the Secretary-General to give the matter of assistance to Lesotho his continued attention and to keep the Security Council informed.
9. Decides to remain seized of the matter.
Adopted unanimously, without a vote, at the 2009th meeting.
1 Ibid., Supplement for April. May and June 1977, document S/12325.
2 Ibid., Supplement for January. February and March 1977, document S/12315.
3 Ibid., Thirty-second Year. 2007th meeting.