Security Council resolution 406 (1977) [Botswana-Southern Rhodesia]
|Publisher||UN Security Council|
|Publication Date||25 May 1977|
|Citation / Document Symbol||S/RES/406 (1977)|
|Reference||1977 Security Council Resolutions|
|Cite as||UN Security Council, Security Council resolution 406 (1977) [Botswana-Southern Rhodesia], 25 May 1977, S/RES/406 (1977), available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3b00f16f24.html [accessed 21 February 2017]|
Resolution 406 (1977) of 25 May 1977
The Security Council,
Recalling its resolution 403 (1977) of 14 January 1977,
Taking note of the letter dated 18 April 1977 addressed to all States by the Secretary-General in accordance with paragraph 8 of resolution 403 (1977),
Recalling further its resolutions 232 (1966) of 16 December 1966 and 253 (1968) of 29 May 1968, by which it determined and reaffirmed, respectively, that the situation in Southern Rhodesia constituted a threat to international peace and security,
Having examined the report of the Mission to Botswana established under resolution 403 (1977),
Having heard the statement of the Minister for External Affairs of Botswana on the continued attacks and acts of provocation by the illegal racist régime in Southern Rhodesia against Botswana,
Convinced that international solidarity with Botswana, as a neighbouring State to Southern Rhodesia is essential for the promotion of a solution to the question of Southern Rhodesia,
1. Expresses full support for the Government of Botswana in its efforts to safeguard its sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence;
2. Expresses its appreciation to the Secretary-General for having arranged to send a Mission to Botswana to ascertain the assistance needed;
3. Takes notes with satisfaction of the report of the mission to Botswana;
4. Fully endorses the assessment and recommendations of the Mission to Botswana under resolution 403 (1977);
5. Further fully endorses the appeal made by the Secretary-General in his letter of 18 April 1977 to all States to give the matter of assistance to Botswana their most urgent attention and material help it urgently needs;
6. Welcomes the establishment by the Secretary-General of a special account at Headquarters to receive contributions for assistance to Botswana through the United Nations;
7. Requests the United Nations and the organizations and programmes concerned, including the Economic and Social Council, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the International Fund for Agricultural Development, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, the United Nations Development Programme and the World Health Organization, to assist Botswana in the fields identified in the report of the Mission to Botswana;
8. Requests the Secretary-General to give the matter of assistance to Botswana his continued attention and to keep the Security Council informed.
9. Decides to remain seized of the matter.
Adopted unanimously, without a vote, at the 2008th meeting.
1 Ibid., Supplement for April, Mav and June 1977, document S/12326.
2 Ibid., Supplement for January, February and March 1977, document S/12307.
3 Ibid., Thirty-second Year, 2006th meeting.