Last Updated: Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 09:40 GMT

Soldiers vandalise radio studio and brutally assault three staff

Publisher Reporters Without Borders
Publication Date 17 May 2010
Cite as Reporters Without Borders, Soldiers vandalise radio studio and brutally assault three staff, 17 May 2010, available at: [accessed 26 April 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

Reporters Without Borders said today it was deeply shocked by a vicious attack against staff at radio Fréquence Plus and the vandalising of the studio by soldiers who arrived to arrest an opposition leader while he was taking part in a live broadcast.

Ambroise Ravonison was debating on air with two other Malagasy figures on 15 May when around a score of armed men, two in military uniform, members of the Special Intervention Force (FIS), raided the premises in the working class neighbourhood known as '67 Hectares'.

The soldiers forced the front door and used rifle butts to strike journalist Noéline Tombo who was left with a broken left shoulder and needed urgent treatment in hospital where she remained overnight.

They went up to the first floor recording studio and began to mistreat radio staff as well as guests taking part in the programme, 'Tamberim-Baovao'. "I told them to leave the staff alone, but it was no use. They just threatened me by pointing their guns at me", the programme presenter, Mbinintsoa Ranaivoson, told Reporters Without Borders. Technical producer Johan Scatman, was knocked unconscious by blows to the head and another technician, Solofo, was left with an open scalp wound after being hit with a rifle butt.

After their assault on the editorial staff, the soldiers turned their attention to the radio's guests. Pierre Andrianantenaina, a member of the High Authority of the Transition (HAT), was left alone but Dr Joseph Randriamiarisoa, who is close to the former president, Albert Zafy, suffered a cut above his eye before managing to flee. His companion, Dr Harrison Razafindrakoto, was arrested but released at the end of the day. He was viciously beaten about the head and needed a full medical assessment.

Ambroise Ravonison, founder and president of the Democratic Legalist Republican Front who was the soldiers' main target, was manhandled and forcibly taken to his home which was searched and then put under seal. He is still being detained.

"Malagasy journalists and media should not be made the victims of score-settling between politicians. The circumstances of the arrest of this opposition leader during a virtual commando operation, which has damaged the press, are shocking and inexplicable", the worldwide press freedom organisation said.

"Fréquence Plus was held hostage, its staff assaulted and a large amount of its equipment wrecked, forcing the radio to halt programmes for an unlimited period", the organisation said.

"There were no inflammatory remarks being made. Ambroise was even calmer than at his meetings" director of Fréquence Plus, Mbinintsoa Ranaivoson said. The station's owner, Wilson Ianona, who said he had been listening to the programme at his home, was also bewildered. "I found Ambroise very positive", he said.

Search Refworld