Last Updated: Friday, 15 December 2017, 16:28 GMT

Haiti: Unidentified gunman shoot at radio station in Port-au-Prince

Publisher Committee to Protect Journalists
Publication Date 7 December 2007
Cite as Committee to Protect Journalists, Haiti: Unidentified gunman shoot at radio station in Port-au-Prince, 7 December 2007, available at: [accessed 16 December 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

November 6, 2007
Posted December 7, 2007

Radio-Télé Ginen

Several unidentified gunmen shot at the Port-au-Prince offices of local station Radio-Télé Ginen, causing minor damages to the building's infrastructure and to a car owned by the station, according to reports in the Haitian press. No one from the station's staff was injured but a passerby was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.

Around 7:15 p.m. an unspecified number of gunmen shot at least 35 times at the front of Radio-Télé Ginen's offices in Delmas, a neighborhood in the north of the Haitian capital, local news reports said. The damages to the building were minor. However, the assailants also shot several rounds at a car owned by the radio station, which was parked outside the building, according to press reports. A woman who was walking on the opposite sidewalk was shot once in the abdomen and taken to a local hospital, where she received immediate medical treatment, reported the Port-au-Prince-based Radio Ksikeya.

According to Agence France-Presse, the attack took place during the radio station's evening news show. Jean Lucien Borges, director of Radio-Télé Ginen, told local reporters that the station had not received any threats. Borges said he saw no connection between the station's news coverage and the attack, reported AFP.

Haitian journalists' associations called on authorities to conduct a speedy investigation. Local police opened an inquiry on the night of the attack but there have been no arrests yet, according to reports in the Haitian press. Borges told local reporters that the station intended to continue reporting as usual.

Copyright notice: © Committee to Protect Journalists. All rights reserved. Articles may be reproduced only with permission from CPJ.

Search Refworld