Last Updated: Friday, 19 January 2018, 17:46 GMT

Gunmen kill Somali journalist in Puntland

Publisher Committee to Protect Journalists
Publication Date 3 May 2012
Cite as Committee to Protect Journalists, Gunmen kill Somali journalist in Puntland, 3 May 2012, available at: [accessed 21 January 2018]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

New York, May 3, 2012 – Two unidentified men shot and killed Somali journalist Farhan Jeemis Abdulle on Wednesday evening as he walked home from work in Galkayo, a town in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland, according to news reports.

Farhan Jeemis Abdulle was shot dead on Wednesday. (Free Press Unlimited)Farhan Jeemis Abdulle was shot dead on Wednesday. (Free Press Unlimited)

Local journalists told CPJ that Abdulle, a producer and host at the private Radio Daljir, would often sleep at the station as a safety precaution but had decided to walk home since he had finished work early. The two assailants were waiting for the journalist near his home in Garsoor Village and shot him four times in the back and hand, news reports said.

Abdulle, who began working for Radio Daljir in 2006, was also a correspondent for the Mogadishu-based Simba Radio, according to local journalists.

Abdulle's colleagues told CPJ the journalist had received unspecified threats from an anonymous caller a few days before the attack. Local journalists said they suspected Al-Shabaab insurgents had killed Abdulle for his coverage of a program that encouraged young people to lay down their arms. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

"We condemn the murder of Farhan Jeemis Abdulle and send our condolences to his family and friends," said CPJ East Africa Coordinator Tom Rhodes. "We call on authorities to do their utmost to find the perpetrators of this latest killing and double their efforts to ensure the security of journalists operating across the region."

At Abdulle's funeral today, Warsame Yusuf, the head of the police criminal investigations department in Galkayo, said the police were investigating the case but had made no arrests yet, local journalists told CPJ.

At least four other journalists have been killed in Somalia this year, according to CPJ research.

Copyright notice: © Committee to Protect Journalists. All rights reserved. Articles may be reproduced only with permission from CPJ.

Search Refworld