Last Updated: Friday, 15 December 2017, 16:28 GMT

Attacks on the Press in 2004 - Sudan

Publisher Committee to Protect Journalists
Publication Date February 2005
Cite as Committee to Protect Journalists, Attacks on the Press in 2004 - Sudan, February 2005, available at: [accessed 15 December 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

Sudan garnered international headlines in 2004 due to widespread atrocities and ethnic cleansing in Darfur, an impoverished region in the west of the country. Since February 2003, government-backed militias, known as janjaweed, have killed tens of thousands of people and displaced close to 2 million in a counterinsurgency campaign against rebel groups.

Sudanese authorities went to great lengths to suppress reports of atrocities in Darfur, including imprisoning journalists. Security forces admonished or threatened other journalists over reporting about the situation.

The Information Ministry requires foreign journalists to obtain travel permits to go to Darfur, and government security officials must accompany them. Many journalists have avoided these restrictions by making the dangerous trip into the country through Chad. However, foreign correspondents told CPJ that international media exposure and diplomatic pressure on the Sudanese government late in the summer led to an easing of restrictions, and that by the fall, they were able to obtain visas more quickly. But some still have long waits and believe that the Sudanese government has singled them out due to their negative coverage.

Many journalists have also managed to avoid traveling with government security officials. However, they say that the presence of intelligence officials in Darfur's refugee camps makes people leery of speaking freely to journalists. At year's end, talks between the government and rebels were ongoing.

The state controls all television and radio stations, but pan-Arab satellite broadcasters like Al-Jazeera and Al-Arabiya, which report more aggressively on the government, are becoming increasingly popular. They are mostly seen in Khartoum and larger cities.

In April, Al-Jazeera's Khartoum bureau chief, Salih, served more than two weeks of a one-month prison sentence after a Khartoum court convicted him of spreading false news and obstructing a public employee from doing his duty. The case stemmed from a December 2003 incident in which government agents confiscated equipment from Al-Jazeera's office in Khartoum, claiming that it had been brought into the country improperly.

Salih was detained for several days afterward, and Sudanese authorities criticized Al-Jazeera's coverage of Darfur, calling it "false." When Salih was charged, authorities never mentioned Al-Jazeera's reporting on Darfur, but Sudanese journalists believe that its coverage of the crisis was the reason for Salih's arrest.

Authorities also used the Press Code, courts, harassment, and bureaucratic pressure to limit reporting by journalists on Darfur and many other topics. Over the years, the National Press Council (NPC), a pro-government body comprising journalists, Parliament members, and presidential appointees, has punished journalists and publications that displeased officials with their coverage. In June, Parliament also adopted a new Press Code that strengthens already stringent media regulations, according to the press freedom group Article 19.

In 2003, Sudan's private press, which features many outspoken dailies, had become more aggressive after President Omar al-Bashir announced that security services could no longer question journalists, confiscate publications, or direct newspaper coverage. But the Darfur crisis prompted security services to resume these activities with renewed vigor in 2004, detaining journalists, suspending publications, and calling editors to tell them what to avoid covering. Phone calls included warnings not to criticize government officials, to avoid writing about government rights abuses, and to print pro-government news. In July, the online Sudanese newspaper Al-Midan published a reputed letter from the security services to journalists advising them how to cover the "Darfur Sedition." It advised them to criticize the opposition, as well as Western governments that pressure the government over the crisis. Sudanese journalists concede that reporting on Darfur is mostly pro-government.

In May, at least five journalists were detained without charge for two days after reporting that the Sudanese economy was collapsing. One of the journalists, Omar Ismail, editor-in-chief of the private daily Al-Azminah, had already been sentenced to one month in prison in March for publishing an article alleging that the head of the NPC has connections to the security services. The paper was closed for three days. The court gave Ismail the option to pay a fine rather than serve the prison term, and he paid the fine.

In September, Hussein Khojali, editor of Alwan, a daily close to the opposition Popular Congress Party of Dr. Hassan al-Turabi, was held for more than two weeks. Local sources said his detention stemmed from an article he had written disputing the government's version of an alleged coup attempt that authorities claim was engineered by al-Turabi supporters that month. He was detained again in November.

In 2004, two independent dailies that had been suspended since November 2003 were allowed to resume publication. Last year, authorities made vague accusations that the Khartoum Monitor and Al-Ayam were threatening national security. Both papers had reported on rebel activities and other topics critical of the government, and they were suspended while being investigated. The English-language Khartoum Monitor, which has been the target of repeated harassment, was allowed to resume publication in late March, but only after the newspaper's chairman signed a document promising to adhere to the law. The respected independent daily Al-Ayam was allowed to resume publication in February, but Al-Ayam Chairman Mahjoub Mohamed Saleh has been harassed and briefly detained since.

Although access to the Internet is limited, in July, authorities blocked Sudanese Online, a U.S.-based Web site run by a Sudanese-American. The site has a discussion forum and also publishes articles critical of the Sudanese government.

2004 Documented Cases – Sudan

APRIL 10, 2004
Posted: April 23, 2004

Islam Salih, Al-Jazeera

A Sudanese criminal court handed down a one-month prison sentence to Islam Salih, Al-Jazeera's bureau chief in Sudan.

Salih's lawyer, Abdel Salam Al-Gizouly, told CPJ that Salih was found guilty of several charges, including spreading false news and obstructing a public employee from doing his duty. He said that the charges stem from a December 2003 incident in which government agents confiscated equipment from Al-Jazeera's office in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, claiming that it was improperly brought into the country. Al-Gizouly said that while the agents were in the office, Salih, who had the office's transmitter turned on, told Al-Jazeera editors in Doha, Qatar, that security agents had stormed the office and were confiscating equipment. Al-Jazeera subsequently broadcast Salih's statements on its news bulletin.

Al-Gizouly said that the agents never produced identification, but that Salih assumed they were security agents since he had been harassed by security agents in the days leading up to the confiscation. Al-Gizouly also said that the equipment that the agents claimed was brought into the country improperly was legally brought into Sudan and in use by Al-Jazeera since August 2003.

Salih was detained for several days in December following the confiscation, and Sudanese authorities called Al-Jazeera's coverage of fierce fighting between rebels and government troops in Darfur, a region in western Sudan, "false," according to press reports. (In recent weeks, Sudanese authorities have restricted the travel of journalists to Darfur.) But when Salih was charged, authorities never mentioned any of Salih's reporting on Darfur. They claimed that the false reporting charge stemmed from Salih's report in which he referred to the security agents who confiscated the equipment, while the authorities claimed they were customs agents.

Al-Gizouly said that Sudanese authorities have regularly harassed Al-Jazeera's Khartoum bureau, calling Salih in for questioning and complaining to him and his editors in Doha about his coverage. Al-Gizouly said that the problems between authorities and Salih increased when the Khartoum bureau acquired transmission equipment that allowed the station to transmit reports to Al-Jazeera's headquarters without having to use equipment owned by the Sudanese government that can easily be monitored.

In addition to the prison sentence, Salih was fined one million Sudanese pounds (US$400).

Al-Gizouly has filed an appeal.

Copyright notice: © Committee to Protect Journalists. All rights reserved. Articles may be reproduced only with permission from CPJ.

Search Refworld