Last Updated: Thursday, 14 December 2017, 13:52 GMT

Journalists Killed in 2011 - Motive Confirmed: Nasrullah Khan Afridi

Publisher Committee to Protect Journalists
Publication Date 20 December 2011
Cite as Committee to Protect Journalists, Journalists Killed in 2011 - Motive Confirmed: Nasrullah Khan Afridi, 20 December 2011, available at: [accessed 15 December 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

Khyber News Agency, Pakistan Television, Mashreq
May 10, 2011, in Peshawar, Pakistan

Afridi, a reporter for Pakistan Television and the local Mashreq newspaper, was killed when his car blew up in the city of Peshawar, according to local and international news reports. An explosive device was detonated remotely shortly after he returned to the vehicle, which was parked in a densely populated shopping area, news reports said.

In a statement, the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ) said Afridi, who was also the president of the Tribal Union of Journalists, was in Peshawar fleeing threats from militant groups. Mian Iftikhar Hussain, the information minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, called the death a targeted killing, according to PFUJ and Agence France-Presse, but he did not provide further details. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa was formerly known as the North West Frontier Province.

Police said a warlord, Mangal Bagh, had threatened Afridi in Khyber, AFP reported. In May 2006, CPJ reported that unidentified assailants had lobbed two hand grenades at Afridi's house in Bara, the main town of Khyber Agency in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas near the border with Afghanistan. Afridi had been the target of a death threat issued on a pirate radio station run by Islamic militant organization Lashkar-e-Islam. The threat came after Afridi reported that authorities suspected Lashkar-e-Islam of being responsible for an attack in which a paramilitary soldier was injured. The journalist moved to Pakistan's capital, Islamabad, after the attack. He complained that local officials failed to provide security despite repeated requests. He subsequently moved to the wealthy Hayatabad township of Peshawar, where security was considered to be higher. But in mid-2007, grenades were lobbed at his Hayatabad home. No one was injured in the attack.

Afridi was popular, a senior figure in the tightly knit journalist community in the dangerous areas along the Afghan border. Hundreds of people, including colleagues, political leaders, and tribal elders, attended his memorial service. No arrests were made in the case.

Medium:Print, Television
Job:Broadcast Reporter, Print Reporter
Local or Foreign:Local
Type of Death:Murder
Suspected Source of Fire:Unknown Fire
Taken Captive:No
Copyright notice: © Committee to Protect Journalists. All rights reserved. Articles may be reproduced only with permission from CPJ.

Search Refworld