Last Updated: Monday, 11 December 2017, 15:40 GMT

Attacks on the Press in 2004 - Guatemala

Publisher Committee to Protect Journalists
Publication Date February 2005
Cite as Committee to Protect Journalists, Attacks on the Press in 2004 - Guatemala, February 2005, available at: [accessed 11 December 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

In December 2004, the U.N. Verification Mission in Guatemala (MINUGUA) ceased monitoring the implementation of the 1996 peace accords that ended decades of civil conflict. The end of the MINUGUA mission was a political milestone for Guatemala, yet the peace accords have not been fully implemented, and human rights abuses remain widespread.

Although Guatemalan journalists express their views freely, they may suffer retaliation. Journalists who report on such sensitive topics as human rights, government corruption, and crime may face threats and harassment from politicians, drug traffickers, and organized crime groups. Conditions are worse for provincial journalists, whom local politicians often pressure.

On August 31, police attacked a group of reporters, photographers, and cameramen who were covering the eviction of hundreds of peasants from a ranch in the southern department of Retalhuleu. After the journalists witnessed and filmed police killing several peasants, reportedly in revenge because peasants had shot dead three police officers during the eviction, the police turned on the press, attacking and threatening at least eight journalists. The police also confiscated cameras and video equipment. When several journalists tried to recover their equipment, police threatened them, fired shots into the air, and threw tear gas grenades at them.

The journalists, who were carrying press credentials and press jackets, had yet to recover their equipment at year's end, including the tapes on which they recorded the alleged killings. In September, prosecutors brought preliminary charges of aggravated robbery, coercion, and abuse of authority against three police officers linked to the attack, and a judge ordered an investigation into the incident. The officers, who had been detained, were released on bail in October and placed under house arrest. Prosecutors had six months to conclude their investigation and request formal indictments.

Despite that incident, relations between the government and the local press have improved since the January 14 inauguration of President Oscar Berger, whose political coalition was endorsed by much of the media. Under Berger, the number of attacks against journalists has decreased significantly, according to CPJ research. During the presidency of Berger's predecessor, Alfonso Portillo, Guatemala was one of the most dangerous places in the Americas to work as a journalist. As relations between the Portillo administration and the local press became more hostile, attacks and threats against journalists increased significantly. The lack of concrete results in investigations of attacks against journalists under Portillo reinforced the climate of impunity. During the run-up to the general elections in November 2003, attacks and threats against the press intensified. In July 2003, during two days of violent protests, government supporters attacked and harassed journalists.

But in an indication of 2004's new mood, several investigations into attacks against journalists moved forward. In June 2003, a group of men terrorized the publisher of the daily elPeriódico (The Paper), José Rubén Zamora, and his family for two hours at his home, holding a gun to his head and telling the former CPJ International Press Freedom Award recipient that they were going to execute him. In August 2004, a judge indicted two former members of the Presidential High Command – a military intelligence unit that has been linked to human rights abuses and was abolished in October 2003 – for illegal detention, illegal breaking and entering, threats, and aggravated robbery in the Zamora case. A trial was scheduled for February 8, 2005.

In March, a judge ruled that there was sufficient evidence for prosecutors to investigate former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt and senior members of his Guatemalan Republican Front (FRG) party to determine responsibility for the July 24, 2003, death of reporter Héctor Ramírez. Ramírez and several other journalists covering violent protests by supporters of the FRG were attacked, and Ramírez died of a heart attack after he was assaulted and chased by protesters. The judge also put Ríos Montt under house arrest, restricting his movements to Guatemala City. On September 27, prosecutors requested a formal indictment for Ríos Montt and fellow FRG members. A hearing scheduled for December 3 was postponed, and no new date had been scheduled by year's end.

Two trials have been scheduled in relation to the September 2001 murder of journalist Jorge Mynor Alegría Armendáriz. Alegría, who was murdered outside his home in the port city of Puerto Barrios, hosted an afternoon call-in radio show that often discussed corruption and official misconduct. The trial of David Pineda, a parliamentary deputy and former mayor of Puerto Barrios who is accused of ordering Alegría's murder, was scheduled for December 7, but it was postponed, and no new date had been announced by year's end. The three men allegedly hired to kill Alegría will be tried in August 2005. Two of them are imprisoned awaiting trial, while a third remains at large.

In 2004, organizations of community radio stations, many of them based in indigenous communities, protested their lack of access to radio frequencies. Under the Agreement on Identity and Rights of Indigenous Peoples – one of several agreements that the government and former guerrillas signed in the 1990s under U.N. auspices – Guatemala is obligated to reform current broadcasting license laws to make frequencies available to the country's indigenous population, but officials have yet to do so.

2004 Documented Cases – Guatemala

AUGUST 31, 2004
Posted: September 9, 2004

Mario Morales, William Meoño, and Marvin Guillén, Nuestro Diario
Edward Morales, Guatevisión
Fredy Rodas, Prensa Libre
Mynor Toj and Luis Romero, Cable DX
Gerardo Montenegro, freelance

Guatemalan police attacked and threatened at least eight journalists reporting on the eviction of hundreds of peasants who had occupied the Nueva Linda ranch in the southern department of Retalhuleu, according to local news reports. The police operation ended with several deaths and scores of injuries among the peasants.

The attacks against the journalists came after they had witnessed police killing several peasants, news reports said. The police confiscated cameras and video equipment. When several journalists tried to recover their equipment, police threatened them, fired shots into the air, and launched tear gas grenades at them, news reports said.

Edward Morales and Rojas told CPJ that all of the journalists were carrying press credentials and press jackets. Journalists could not immediately recover their equipment, including tapes on which they recorded the killings.

Copyright notice: © Committee to Protect Journalists. All rights reserved. Articles may be reproduced only with permission from CPJ.

Search Refworld