Attacks on the Press in 2006 - Snapshots: Ecuador
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||February 2007|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Attacks on the Press in 2006 - Snapshots: Ecuador, February 2007, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/47c567562e.html [accessed 24 November 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
The body of José Luis León Desiderio, host of the daily news program "Opinión" on local Radio Minutera, was found in the coastal city of Guayaquil on February 14. León had often denounced gang violence and police inaction in the city. León, who had not been robbed, received a text message on his cell phone threatening him with death only days before his murder.
Killed in 2006 in Ecuador
José Luis León Desiderio, Radio Minutera, February 13 or 14, 2006, Guayaquil (motive unconfirmed)
León, 43, host of a daily news program "Opinión" on local Radio Minutera, was shot in the coastal city of Guayaquil. León often denounced gang violence and police inaction in the city, Alejandro Alvarez, a reporter for the daily El Universo, told CPJ.
León left his home at 11 p.m. on February 13 to meet his wife, Jenny Piza, at a nearby bus stop, but the two never met. León's wife and daughter found his body near their home early the next day, February 14. Press reports initially said that León had been shot three times, but his wife told CPJ that León was shot once in the head. He was not robbed.
Piza told CPJ that León had received a text message on his cell phone threatening him with death a few days before his murder. According to Hugo Asencio, news director for the radio program, a few weeks before the murder León had told him that a group of unidentified men hurled stones at his house.
León often reported on gang violence, drug trafficking, and the lack of police in Guayaquil's suburbs, local press reports said. León also worked at a printing press and was studying journalism, Piza told CPJ.
On March 2, Guayaquil prosecutor Manuel Alvear Hernández ordered the national police to launch an investigation into the murder. The prosecutor asked Radio Minutera to provide audiotapes of the program to investigators. León's wife and daughter received cell phone death threats after the killing.
In June, three men were accused in the killing, according to El Universo. In a report made public on October 27, local prosecutor Miriam Rosales Riofrío cited insufficient evidence in clearing two of the men. El Universo reported that the third man, Medardo Bone Bone, was held after two witnesses identified him as the gunman. No motive was immediately established.