Security Council resolution 84 (1950) [Complaint of aggression upon the Republic of Korea]
|Publisher||UN Security Council|
|Publication Date||7 July 1950|
|Citation / Document Symbol||S/RES/84 (1950)|
|Reference||1950 Security Council Resolutions|
|Cite as||UN Security Council, Security Council resolution 84 (1950) [Complaint of aggression upon the Republic of Korea], 7 July 1950, S/RES/84 (1950), available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3b00f1e85c.html [accessed 28 July 2017]|
84 (1950). Resolution of 7 July 1950
The Security Council,
Having determined that the armed attack upon the Republic of Korea by forces from North Korea constitutes a breach of the peace,
Having recommended that Members of the United Nations furnish such assistance to the Republic of Korea as may be necessary to repel the armed attack and to restore international peace and security in the area,
1. Welcomes the prompt and vigorous support which Governments and peoples of the United Nations have given to its resolutions 82 (1950) and 83 (1950) of 25 and 27 June 1950 to assist the Republic of Korea in defending itself against armed attack and thus to restore international peace and security in the area;
2. Notes that Members of the United Nations have transmitted to the United Nations offers of assistance for the Republic of Korea;
3. Recommends that all Members providing military forces and other assistance pursuant to the aforesaid Security Council resolutions make such forces and other assistance available to a unified command under the United States of America;
4. Requests the United States to designate the commander of such forces;
5. Authorizes the unified command at its discretion to use the United Nations flag in the course of operations against North Korean forces concurrently with the flags of the various nations participating;
6. Requests the United States to provide the Security Council with reports as appropriate on the course of action taken under the unified command.
Adopted at the 476th meeting by 7 votes to none, with 3 abstentions (Egypt, India, Yugoslavia).
1 One member (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) was absent.