Ban presses for credible and peaceful presidential poll in Senegal
|Publisher||UN News Service|
|Publication Date||23 February 2012|
|Cite as||UN News Service, Ban presses for credible and peaceful presidential poll in Senegal, 23 February 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4f4b3a292.html [accessed 20 August 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
Senegalese voters are scheduled to go to the polls on Sunday to elect a president to serve for the next seven years, with 14 candidates reportedly in the running.
Widespread public protests have been held around the country, with demonstrators reportedly angry that incumbent President Abdoulaye Wade has decided to seek a third consecutive term in office.
Several people have been killed and earlier this month the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay voiced concern about the possible excessive use of force by Senegalese authorities in response to the protests.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Mr. Ban said he hoped the election process would be "peaceful, credible and transparent in line with Senegal's long-standing democratic tradition and the aspirations of its people."
The Secretary-General said he deplored the recent deadly incidents and underlined the need for the right to peaceful and orderly assembly to be respected.
"He calls on political actors to refrain from using or inciting violence during the electoral period and appeals once again for all electoral disputes to be resolved through legal and peaceful means," the statement added.