Pakistan accuses India of deadly border attack
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||21 August 2013|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Pakistan accuses India of deadly border attack, 21 August 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/521f46b03c8.html [accessed 30 March 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 21, 2013
Indian border troops patrol on a footbridge built near the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan. (file photo)
Pakistan's military is blaming India for killing an officer and wounding a soldier in the latest clash along their disputed border in Kashmir.
A Pakistani military statement said on August 21 that a captain was killed by unprovoked Indian shelling, which began late on the previous day in the northwestern Shakma sector, near the Line of Control – the de facto border that divides the Himalayan region into Pakistani and Indian controlled sections.
There was no immediate response from the Indian side.
Tensions have flared in recent weeks because of deadly cross-border shooting incidents between the nuclear-armed neighbors.
Earlier this week, Indian Defense Minister A. K. Antony said his forces would take "all possible steps" to counter cease-fire violations by Pakistan.
Islamabad and New Delhi have fought two wars over Kashmir, with both claiming full sovereignty of the territory.
Based on reporting by Reuters and AP