Last Updated: Monday, 20 November 2017, 16:41 GMT

Montenegro charges 14, including two Russians, with coup attempt

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 13 April 2017
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Montenegro charges 14, including two Russians, with coup attempt, 13 April 2017, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/59818d1cc.html [accessed 21 November 2017]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

April 13, 2017 20:00 GMT

Montenegrin politician Milo Djukanovic in November 2016Montenegrin politician Milo Djukanovic in November 2016

Montenegrin prosecutors have formally charged 14 people, including two Russians and two pro-Russia opposition leaders, with plotting to overthrow the government last year.

A Podgorica court on April 13 said lawmakers Andrija Mandic and Milan Knezevic of the Democratic Front, two Russians, nine Serbian citizens, and one other Montenegrin were charged with "creating a criminal organization."

The Russians were also charged with "terrorism."

The court has 15 days to decide whether to accept the indictments.

Montenegrin officials allege that Serbian and Russian nationalists plotted to take over parliament during the October 2016 parliamentary elections, assassinate then-Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic, and install a pro-Russia leadership to halt Montenegro's bid to join NATO.

Prosecutors said the Russians, identified as Eduard Shishmakov and Vladimir Popov, were based in Serbia and were allowed by authorities there to return to Russia. They remain at large.

Accused lawmaker Mandic on April 13 called the charges "a staged political process against the opposition."

Montenegro's special prosecutor has said "Russian state bodies" were involved in the alleged coup, something Russia denies.

On April 12, a senior White House official told reporters that the United States was concerned about "credible reports of Russian support for an attempted election-day attack on the government."

Based on reporting by AP and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics