Iran: Diplomat says Tehran approves deal to probe 1994 Argentinian bombing
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||21 May 2013|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Iran: Diplomat says Tehran approves deal to probe 1994 Argentinian bombing, 21 May 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/51a47a2a18.html [accessed 17 November 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
May 21, 2013
Argentinian and Iranian representatives had already inked a memorandum of understanding on the "truth commission" to investigate the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center in Buenos Aires that killed 85 people.
An Iranian diplomat says his government has approved a memorandum of understanding with Argentina on forming a "truth commission" to investigate the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center in Buenos Aires.
The attack killed 85 people.
Argentinian prosecutors have said several past and present senior Iranian officials, including current Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi, are suspected of playing roles in masterminding the attack.
Ali Pakdaman, charge d'affaires in the Iranian Embassy in Buenos Aires, said on May 20 that the memorandum was approved one day earlier by the Iranian government.
It was not submitted to parliament.
The deal, signed in January, has already been approved by Argentinian lawmakers.
Under the deal, the planned "truth commission" will not include Iranians or Argentinians.
Argentinian President Cristina Kirchner has said the agreement allows Argentinian court officials to question Iranian suspects.
Based on reporting by dpa and AFP