Kenya jails two Iranians for life on terror-related charges
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||6 May 2013|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Kenya jails two Iranians for life on terror-related charges, 6 May 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/519a6bcc3b.html [accessed 23 August 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
May 06, 2013
Iranians Said Mansur Musavi (left) and Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammed during their May 6 trial in Nairobi, Kenya
A Kenyan court has sentenced two Iranian nationals to life imprisonment on terrorism-related charges.
Ahmad Mohammed and Sayed Mansur were found guilty last week of possessing around 15 kilograms of explosives and planning to carry out bombings in Kenyan cities.
Their targets were Western, according to AP.
During the sentencing on May 6, the court said the two had suspected links to a terrorist network planning attacks in Nairobi and Mombasa.
The men were arrested in the Kenyan capital in June 2012.
They denied the charges and their lawyers say they will appeal their sentences.
Dozens of people died last year in bombings in the Kenyan capital, the port city of Mombasa, and near the border with Somalia.
Based on reporting by AFP, AP, and Reuters