Azeri presidential hopeful to sue central election committee
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||28 August 2013|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Azeri presidential hopeful to sue central election committee, 28 August 2013, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/525e3edc14.html [accessed 23 July 2017]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 28, 2013
Rustam Ibragimbekov (file photo)
The Azerbaijani opposition's first choice as presidential candidate says he will sue the country's Central Election Commission for refusing to register him to run for office.
Rustam Ibragimbekov made the statement in Moscow late on August 27, after the commission denied his registration because of his dual Azerbaijani-Russian citizenship and because he is not a permanent resident of Azerbaijan.
The 74-year-old Oscar-winning screenwriter, who lives in Moscow, was nominated as the united opposition's candidate earlier this month.
Election commission spokesman Azer Sariyev said the registration decision was made in accordance with Azerbaijan's constitution and based on official documents provided by Russian authorities.
Last week, Azerbaijan's united opposition nominated 61-year-old historian and former lawmaker Camil Hasanli to be its alternate candidate.
Azerbaijan's presidential election is scheduled for October 9.
Based on reporting by apa.az and trend.az