United Nations condemns deadly bombings in Bahrain capital - spokesperson
|Publisher||UN News Service|
|Publication Date||6 November 2012|
|Cite as||UN News Service, United Nations condemns deadly bombings in Bahrain capital - spokesperson, 6 November 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/509cedda2.html [accessed 7 July 2015]|
The United Nations condemns the deadly bombings which took place in Bahrain on Monday, a spokesperson for the world body said today.
"These violent acts cannot be justified by any cause," added UN spokesperson Martin Nesirky, in response to a question during a news briefing at UN Headquarters in New York.
According to media reports, five bombs exploded in Bahrain's capital, Manama, yesterday, killing two foreign workers and critically injuring a third. Bahraini officials have reportedly described the bombings as a terrorist attack.
"We call on all concerned to exercise maximum restraint and to refrain from any provocations," Mr. Nesirky added. "We urge all Bahrainis to come together in a spirit of national unity and to resolve differences peacefully through dialogue and reconciliation."
Since February, there have been clashes in the Gulf country between security forces and demonstrators, a year after widespread civil protests first emerged in the Gulf country.
According to media reports, the Government declared restrictions on public demonstrations and other public gatherings on 30 October, amidst clashes in recent weeks between anti-government protesters and police. In addition, a senior interior ministry official reportedly said that "repeated abuse" of the rights of freedom of expression could no longer be tolerated.
Last week, through his spokesperson, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed concern over the restrictions, believing that they could aggravate the situation in the country. He urged the Government of Bahrain to lift them without delay.
Mr. Ban also called on protesters to "ensure that any demonstrations are, in fact, peaceful," describing recent violence that reportedly killed two police officers as "unacceptable."
Mr. Ban's spokesperson added that the Secretary-General "reaffirms his belief that there needs to be an all inclusive and meaningful national dialogue that addresses the legitimate aspirations of all Bahrainis, as this is the only way towards greater stability and prosperity for all Bahrainis.