Journalists Killed in 2012 - Motive Unconfirmed: Zakariye Mohamed Mohamud Moallim
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||18 December 2012|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Journalists Killed in 2012 - Motive Unconfirmed: Zakariye Mohamed Mohamud Moallim, 18 December 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5107a0951c.html [accessed 14 February 2016]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
September 16, 2012, in Mogadishu, Somalia
Four unidentified men shot Zakariye, 24, in the head and chest while he was eating dinner at a local restaurant in the Nasib Bundo neighborhood of Mogadishu, according to local residents and news reports.
Zakariye worked primarily as a freelance cameraman but had also contributed articles to the Kenya-based news website Somalia Report, according to Robert Young Pelton, a former editor for the website.
Zakariye is the son of Mohamed Mohamud Moallim, a veteran state radio journalist, local journalists told CPJ.
Police arrested three suspects in the murder, but no charges had been filed, local journalists told CPJ. The motive for the attack remained unclear.
Motive Unconfirmed: CPJ is investigating to determine whether the death was work-related.