Last Updated: Friday, 19 September 2014, 13:55 GMT

Taliban attacks eastern Afghan province

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 3 August 2012
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Taliban attacks eastern Afghan province, 3 August 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/502504fb1c.html [accessed 21 September 2014]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

August 03, 2012

Afghan officials say an Afghan soldier and a female civilian were killed when hundreds of suspected Taliban militants launched simultaneous attacks on the eastern province of Konar, along the border with Pakistan.

Provincial officials said militants attacked five districts, including Shigal, Dangam, Marawara, Watapur, and Manogay, before dawn.

The German dpa news agency quoted provincial police chief Ewaz Mohammad Naziri as saying Pakistani fighters had crossed the border to join the Taliban in the attacks, which he said lasted several hours.

Naziri, who claimed dozens of militants were killed, said the insurgents escaped into the mountains after Afghan security forces and foreign troops entered the area.

In a statement, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid called the attack the largest in Konar so far this year.

Based on reporting by dpa and "The New York Times"

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries