Last Updated: Friday, 19 September 2014, 13:55 GMT

UN envoy urges probe into alleged rapes during expulsions from Angola to Democratic Republic of the Congo

Publisher UN News Service
Publication Date 29 October 2010
Cite as UN News Service, UN envoy urges probe into alleged rapes during expulsions from Angola to Democratic Republic of the Congo, 29 October 2010, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4ccfd4952c.html [accessed 21 September 2014]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

Following reports of alleged rapes of women deported from Angola to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), a senior United Nations official has called on both countries to investigate the incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.

"It is important not only to get an accurate picture of what has happened, but also to clarify who has perpetrated the suspected human rights violations, and that the perpetrators are brought to justice," Margot Wallström, the Secretary-General's Special Representative for Sexual Violence in Conflict, said in a statement issued yesterday.

The UN humanitarian arm said earlier this week that, according to unconfirmed but reliable reports, more than 150 Congolese arrived in the Tembo area of Bandundu province in western DRC, alleging to have been expelled by Angolan authorities.

Local non-governmental organizations (NGOs) reported that they were told that two men had been killed and that 30 women were raped multiple times in the course of the expulsion, added the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

Ms. Wallström urged the Governments of both Angola and DRC to "do their utmost to protect their populations, particularly women and children."

Search Refworld

Topics