Saudi Arabia: Lengthy sentences for reformists a worrying development
|Publication Date||23 November 2011|
|Cite as||Amnesty International, Saudi Arabia: Lengthy sentences for reformists a worrying development, 23 November 2011, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4ecf3bd82.html [accessed 29 November 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
Lengthy prison sentences given to 16 men, among them prominent advocates of reform who had tried to set up a human rights association in Saudi Arabia, are a worrying development, Amnesty International said today.
According to reports, prison sentences handed out by the Specialized Criminal Court in Riyadh on Tuesday ranged from five to 30 years.
The men were convicted of charges including forming a secret organization, attempting to seize power, incitement against the King, financing terrorism, and money laundering.
"While some of these charges look very serious, the authorities have a track record of punishing people who simply advocate peaceful political change and respect for human rights, labelling them as security threats," said Philip Luther, Amnesty International's Acting Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
"Given that the trial proceedings in this case were grossly unfair and many of the accusations against the men related only to the peaceful exercise of their rights to freedom of expression and association, it is likely that at least some of those sentenced are prisoners of conscience."
Nine of the men including activists, lawyers and academics - were detained in February 2007 after they met to discuss setting up a human rights association, and had circulated a petition calling for political reform.
At the time the Interior Ministry said the men had been arrested for collecting money to support terrorism, which they have denied.
Seven other men were subsequently detained because of their alleged links with one of the advocates of reform, Dr Saud al-Hashimi.
Many of the men have been held in prolonged solitary confinement, at times in incommunicado detention. At least two of them have alleged they were tortured in detention, one of them saying they were forced into a "confession" as a result. There are concerns that others have suffered similar treatment.
All 16 men were charged in August 2010, some three and a half years after the group of nine were detained .
Lawyers and families were denied details of the charges against the men for months and were denied access to many of the court proceedings.
In the last few months however some family members and some state media have been allowed to attend court sessions.
Fourteen of the men face travel bans after the completion of their sentences, while a Yemeni and Syrian face deportation upon their release.
The men are to receive written verdicts in the next week or two, after which they will have 30 days to appeal. Until then, nine will remain on bail and six will continue to be detained.
One man, Abdullah al-Rifa'i, who was out on bail at the time, was said to have been detained yesterday for laughing in court. It is not clear where he is being detained.
The nine arrested in February 2007:
Dr Saud al-Hashimi - 30 years' imprisonment, 30 years' travel ban following release and a fine of 2 million riyals (approximately US$534,000)
Abdul Aziz al-Khariji - 22 years' imprisonment, 20 years' travel ban following release and a fine of 1 million riyals (approximately US$267,000)
Dr Musa al-Qirni - 20 years' imprisonment and 20 years' travel ban following release
Dr Suliaman al-Rashudi - 15 years' imprisonment and 15 years' travel ban following release
Abdul Rahman Khan - 20 years' imprisonment and 20 years' travel ban following release
Essam Basrawi - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
Saif al-Din al-Sharif - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
Fahd al-Qurshi - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
Abdul Rahman al-Shumayri - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
The other seven:
Waleed al-Amri - 25 years' imprisonment and 25 years' travel ban following release
Abdullah al-Rifa'i (Syrian national) - 15 years' imprisonment and deportation to Syria following release
Ali al-Qirni - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
Mutassem Mukhtar - 10 years' imprisonment and 10 years' travel ban following release
Ridat al-Majayshi - eight years' imprisonment and eight years' travel ban following release
Khaled al-'Abassi - eight years imprisonment and eight years' travel ban following release
Saleh al-Rashidi (Yemeni national) - five years' imprisonment and deportation to Yemen following release.