Malaysia: Whether a Malaysian mother can obtain permanent resident status for her child if the child was born outside of Malaysia from a non-Malaysian father; the conditions under which individuals can obtain permanent residence status in Malaysia
|Publisher||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada|
|Author||Research Directorate, Immigration and Refugee Board, Ottawa|
|Publication Date||8 August 2003|
|Citation / Document Symbol||MYS41842.E|
|Cite as||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Malaysia: Whether a Malaysian mother can obtain permanent resident status for her child if the child was born outside of Malaysia from a non-Malaysian father; the conditions under which individuals can obtain permanent residence status in Malaysia, 8 August 2003, MYS41842.E, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/485ba86dc.html [accessed 5 July 2015]|
According to a counsellor at the High Commission of Malaysia, any person who wishes to live permanently in Malaysia must obtain an Entry Permit (Malaysia 1 Aug. 2003). The following people are eligible to file an application, along with supporting documents and photographs, for an Entry Permit to Malaysia:
- Persons in possession of specialist or professional qualification[s];
- persons in possession of a certificate from the Minister of Home Affairs certifying that their admission would be in the economic interest of Malaysia;
- wives and children under six (6) years of age of persons falling within Category A or B;
- wives of citizens who have not been living separately from the husbands for a continuous period of five (5) years;
- children of CITIZEN under six (6) years of age;
- special compassionate grounds (ibid.).
This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.
Malaysia. 1 August 2003. High Commission of Malaysia, Ottawa. Correspondence sent by a counsellor.