Ban welcomes Papua New Guinea's decision to go forward with elections
|Publisher||UN News Service|
|Publication Date||10 May 2012|
|Cite as||UN News Service, Ban welcomes Papua New Guinea's decision to go forward with elections, 10 May 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4face2412.html [accessed 27 November 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
"The Secretary-General welcomes the decision of the Government and the Election Commission to conduct the elections within the timeframe stipulated in the constitution," Mr. Ban's spokesperson said in a statement issued on Wednesday night.
Last month, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, had voiced concern about steps taken by the country's Government which seriously affected the ability of the judiciary to operate independently, and had warned that these undermined the rule of law and could lead to serious instability in the country.
There had also been reports that several journalists had been attacked, allegedly for their role in reporting on the current political situation in the country.
"The Secretary-General encourages all relevant parties in Papua New Guinea to uphold the democratic process and ensure that the elections are held in a transparent, credible and peaceful manner," the statement said. "He hopes that the rule of law is strengthened and freedom of the press and the independence of the judiciary are upheld. The United Nations stands ready to assist in this regard."