Two wounded as Afghan police officer opens fire on foreign troops
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||13 August 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Two wounded as Afghan police officer opens fire on foreign troops, 13 August 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/502e4362c.html [accessed 27 April 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
August 13, 2012
An Afghan police officer has opened fire on NATO troops and Afghan soldiers, in the latest reported attack by Afghan security forces on their international partners.
A spokesman for the NATO-led military coalition said one foreign soldier and a member of the Afghan intelligence agency were injured in the shooting in the remote eastern Nangarhar Province.
The attacker escaped.
A NATO spokesman, Major Martin Crighton, said the shooter was a member of the Afghan police, but he was not wearing his uniform at the time of the attack.
A Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the shooting.
It was the fifth such attack by Afghan security forces or militants wearing Afghan uniforms in the last week.
Seven soldiers with the NATO coalition have been killed in the attacks.
Based on reporting by AP and AFP