Mexican court did not call for release of Brad Will suspect
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||11 November 2009|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Mexican court did not call for release of Brad Will suspect, 11 November 2009, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4b25fc1123.html [accessed 24 July 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
New York, November 11, 2009 – A court in Oaxaca has not ordered the release of Juan Manuel Martínez Moreno, who was charged last year for the 2006 killing of U.S. journalist Bradley Roland Will, contrary to initial news reports in the Mexican press.
A Oaxacan tribunal determined on Monday that there was insufficient evidence to continue holding Martínez Moreno, reports in the daily Milenio and the Spanish news agency EFE incorrectly indicated and CPJ picked up.
Alba Cruz Ramos, the defendant's lawyer, told CPJ that the Oaxacan court ruled on Monday that new evidence against Martínez Moreno presented by the attorney general's office won't be admitted. A hearing scheduled for November 19, will decide whether Martínez Moreno will be released or remain in jail based on a motion filed by his lawyers, Cruz said.
Brad Will was killed on October 27, 2006, while documenting civil unrest in Oaxaca. CPJ has expressed concern about the attorney general's office inquiry and urged investigators to pursue other lines of investigation, including disregarded evidence that implicate supporters of the Oaxaca government in Will's killing.