Journalists Killed in 2009 - Motive Unconfirmed: Rafael Munguía Ortiz
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||January 2010|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Journalists Killed in 2009 - Motive Unconfirmed: Rafael Munguía Ortiz, January 2010, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4e64968223.html [accessed 8 March 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
Radio Cadena Voces
March 31, 2009, in San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Unidentified gunmen in a green car shot Munguía, a local correspondent for the national Radio Cadena Voces (RCV), on a street in the Medina neighborhood of San Pedro Sula, 110 miles (175 kilometers) northwest of the capital city of Tegucigalpa, according to local news reports and CPJ interviews.
Eric Peñalva, a police spokesman, told CPJ that the journalist was shot seven times from a 9mm weapon at around 6 p.m.
Munguía, 52, had a long history as a journalist in San Pedro Sula, and had been with RCV for more than two years, his colleague, Melissa Amaya, told CPJ.
He had recently reported on violence and organized crime, she said.