Journalists Killed in 2010 - Motive Confirmed: Joseph Hernández Ochoa
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||January 2011|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Journalists Killed in 2010 - Motive Confirmed: Joseph Hernández Ochoa, January 2011, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4e54d6aac.html [accessed 1 October 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
TV Channel 51
March 1, 2010, in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Hernández, 26, an entertainment journalist and host for Tegucigalpa-based Channel 51, was driving colleague Karol Cabrera home when two unidentified gunmen fired on them in a neighborhood known as El Chile, press reports said. Hernández, shot several times, died at the scene. Cabrera, a host with private station Radio Cadena Voces, was hospitalized with gunshot wounds to the left arm, news reports said.
News accounts suggested that Cabrera had been the target of the attack. Cabrera, who hosted a television show on state-owned Channel 8 during the interim government of Roberto Micheletti, said she believed supporters of ousted leader Manuel Zelaya were behind the attack, press reports said. Cabrera's daughter, Kathleen Nicole Rodríguez Cabrera, was fatally shot in December 2009 under similar circumstances, according to press reports.
Cabrera said she had received several anonymous death threats by phone before the shooting and had been assigned a police escort, press reports said. The officer was at Cabrera's home at the time of the attack, according to news reports.
Hernández hosted the program "Encuentros" on Channel 51 and was studying journalism at the National University of Honduras.
|Local or Foreign:||Local|
|Type of Death:||Murder|
|Suspected Source of Fire:||Political Group|