Colombia: Journalist receives death threat
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||22 November 2007|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Colombia: Journalist receives death threat, 22 November 2007, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/47d14638c.html [accessed 28 August 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
November 22, 2007
Posted January 18, 2008
Diro César González, La Tarde
González, director of the Barrancabermeja-based weekly newspaper La Tarde, received a letter mourning his death at his home in the northern province of Santander. In 2006, González had been forced to flee following repeated death threats linked to his reporting on local right-wing paramilitary groups.
In the afternoon of November 22, González and his wife found a manila envelope with the journalist's name outside the door to their home, which also serves as La Tarde's offices, González told CPJ. The journalist said inside the envelope was an anonymous card offering condolences for his death. He told CPJ that he filed complaints with local and national authorities.
González said he did not know who sent the card. However, he believes the threat is retaliation for La Tarde's recent coverage of regional elections, which were held on October 28. According to González, La Tarde reported aggressively on local government and police corruption, and paramilitary activities during and after the elections.
In January 2006, González relocated to Bogotá for almost a year after multiple death threats against him, during which time he suspended publication of La Tarde. González now has permanent police protection granted by the Ministry of Interior's program for journalist protection, he told CPJ.