Journalists Killed in 2012 - Motive Confirmed: Valério Luiz de Oliveira
|Publisher||Committee to Protect Journalists|
|Publication Date||18 December 2012|
|Cite as||Committee to Protect Journalists, Journalists Killed in 2012 - Motive Confirmed: Valério Luiz de Oliveira, 18 December 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5107a0a6c.html [accessed 1 February 2015]|
July 5, 2012, in Goiânia, Brazil
An unidentified gunman on a motorcycle shot Luiz, 49, at least four times outside his offices at Radio Jornal, where he hosted a sports program, news reports said.
Luiz was known for his critical commentary, particularly regarding the management of the local soccer team Atletico Goianiense, according to news reports. Before his death, he had been banned entry from the premises of the team's headquarters, news reports said.
Manoel de Oliveira, a well-known sports commentator and the journalist's father, said he believed his son's death was related to his reporting and that he had "lost his son because of football," the TV station Globo reported. Lorena Nascimento de Oliveira, Luiz's wife, said he had told her he was concerned by problems he had had with people involved with the sport, the Globo report said. She did not offer further details.
The management of the Atletico Goianiense team put out a statement condemning the murder and calling for a full investigation. "Luiz was known for his commentary, which at times angered some sectors of the club, but on the other hand, his strong opinions also informed the club's decision-making and helped Atletico grow," the statement said.
Adriana Ribeiro de Barros, head of the state's homicide unit, noted the journalist's controversial opinions and said they would be investigating the case.
|Job:||Columnist / Commentator|
|Local or Foreign:||Local|
|Type of Death:||Murder|
|Suspected Source of Fire:||Unknown Fire|