South Sudan says pulling troops out of Sudan's Heglig oil field
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||21 April 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, South Sudan says pulling troops out of Sudan's Heglig oil field, 21 April 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4f9e7c70c.html [accessed 1 August 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
April 21, 2012
South Sudanese forces are continuing a pullout from Sudan's main Heglig oil field after tensions over the incursion threatened to ignite war between the two countries.
South Sudan's Information Minister Barnaba Marial Benjamin told reporters in Juba that "our troops are still withdrawing; it will take three days."
He said the withdrawal was in response to the request of the UN Security Council and the African Union.
Border clashes between Sudan and South Sudan escalated last week with waves of air strikes hitting the South, and Juba seizing the Heglig oil hub on April 10.
U.S. President Barack Obama on April 20 said, "the presidents of Sudan and South Sudan must have the courage to return to the table and negotiate and resolve these issues peacefully."
Based on reporting by AFP and dpa