ICC envoys 'detained' in Libya
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||11 June 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, ICC envoys 'detained' in Libya, 11 June 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4fdb2f62c.html [accessed 24 May 2013]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
June 11, 2012
Libyan authorities have reportedly have put four International Criminal Court (ICC) envoys in detention for 45 days while investigations into an alleged threat to national security continue.
The ICC envoys were detained after they visited Muammar Qaddafi's imprisoned son, Saif al-Islam, in the western mountain town of Zintan.
Libyan lawyers and sources in the security forces said the team was detained after one of its lawyers, Melinda Taylor, was found to be carrying documents for Saif al-Islam that were regarded as suspicious.
British Ambassador's Convoy Attacked
Meanwhile, Britain's Foreign Office says a convoy carrying the British Ambassador to Libya, Dominic Asquith, was involved in a "serious incident" on June 11 in the eastern Libyan port city of Benghazi, which left two protection officers wounded.
The Foreign Office said all other staff travelling in the convoy were safe and had been accounted for.
It did not say whether the protection officers were British.
Unconfirmed reports said the convoy was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.
The attack was the latest in a series of attacks targeting diplomatic personnel in the city, the birthplace of the revolt that overthrew Muammar Qaddafi last year.
Some analysts say the violence is the work of Islamist militants exploiting the security vacuum left after Qaddafi's fall.
Based on reporting by AP, AFP, Reuters, and dpa