Last Updated: Friday, 25 July 2014, 12:52 GMT

Egypt: Probe of opposition figures

Publisher Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Publication Date 28 December 2012
Cite as Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Egypt: Probe of opposition figures, 28 December 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/50ed344623.html [accessed 28 July 2014]
DisclaimerThis is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.

December 28, 2012

Egypt's chief prosecutor has ordered a probe into allegations that opposition leaders incited supporters to overthrow President Muhammad Morsi.

Legal sources said the probe targets Mohammed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Amr Moussa, former chief of the Arab League, and Hamdeen Sabbahi.

Moussa and Sabbahi were presidential candidates in the June election that Morsi won.

The chief prosecutor launched the probe after a complaint was filed against the opposition leaders last month.

The investigation comes amid heighetened tensions over Egypt's new constitution backed by Morsi's Islamic allies but still rejected by the opposition.

There was no immediate comment by any of the opposition leaders named in the probe.

But Emad Abu Ghazi, secretary-general of ElBaradei's party, said the investigation was "an attempt to eliminate political opponents."

Based on reporting from Reuters, AP and AFP

Link to original story on RFE/RL website

Copyright notice: Copyright (c) 2007-2009. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036

Search Refworld

Countries

Topics