Syria: Requirements to obtain a Syrian passport
|Publisher||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada|
|Author||Research Directorate, Immigration and Refugee Board, Canada|
|Publication Date||1 March 1999|
|Citation / Document Symbol||SYR31281.E|
|Cite as||Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada, Syria: Requirements to obtain a Syrian passport, 1 March 1999, SYR31281.E, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6ab216f.html [accessed 23 August 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
The following information was provided by fax in Arabic by the Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic in Ottawa. The translation to English is by Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Information Regarding Passport
A Syrian passport or a travel document for Palestinians living in Syria is issued for both males and females who performed military service or were exempted from military service or paid a monetary compensatory amount. The passport or the travel document is valid for 6 years. As for children, a passport will be issued to them commensurate with their age until they reach 18.
- As for employees and delegates, an authorization from the employer or the concerned authority, is required. Otherwise, a duly certified resignation certificate is required.
- As for students (under direction), a passport valid for 2 years is issued to them for a fee amounting to $158. It is renewable twice free of charge provided that they are still students.
Documents Required for Obtaining Passport
1. A completed and signed passport application form in 3 copies.
2. 3 colour personal photos and $158 passport fee (Money Order) to the order of the Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic.
3. Old passport and a self-addressed post-paid envelope
4. Military service status for males: deferment document, performance of service, medical exemption or monetary compensatory amount.
5. $10 and 2 photos for consular registration
6. Syrian citizens working in Canada should pay the fees related to immigrants in accordance with Act 19 before they can obtain or renew passports.
7. Syrian citizens who are also Canadian citizens are exempted from paying the fees related to immigrants on condition that they provide proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian passport), or provide a duly certified certificate, (from competent authorities, notary public, municipality, certified by the Foreign Affairs Canada), certifying that they are unemployed.
Obtaining a Replacement of a Lost or Damaged Passport:
1. Police report, copy of newspaper ad, $158 passport fee plus $70-228 penalty
2. Proof of military service status: deferment document, performance of service, etc.
3. Identity card, recently issued birth certificate with photo, certified by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
4. Written commitment to protect the new passport from damage and loss
5. A duly completed passport replacement application form (provided by the Embassy) in 3 copies
6. All fees are paid by Money Order
All applications are sent to (Consular Section) at the following address:
Our temporary address:
Our temporary address: Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic Minto Place Suite Hotel 433 Laurier Ave. W. Suite # 3112 Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7Y1
Regards from the Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic, Ottawa (3 Mar. 1999).
For blank copies of the administrative forms, please consult the attached documents.
This Response was prepared after researching publicly accessible information currently available to the Research Directorate within time constraints. This Response is not, and does not purport to be, conclusive as to the merit of any particular claim to refugee status or asylum.
Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic, Ottawa. 3 March 1999. Translation by Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Embassy of the Syrian Arab Republic, Ottawa. 3 March 1999. Fax sent to the Research Directorate.