UN Economic and Social Council Resolution 1982/3: Humanitarian assistance to refugees in Djibouti.
|Publisher||UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)|
|Author||UN Economic and Social Council (1982, 1st sess. : New York)|
|Publication Date||27 April 1982|
|Citation / Document Symbol||E/RES/1982/3|
|Cite as||UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), UN Economic and Social Council Resolution 1982/3: Humanitarian assistance to refugees in Djibouti., 27 April 1982, E/RES/1982/3, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae69ee90.html [accessed 2 August 2015]|
Humanitarian assistance to refugees in DjiboutiThe Economic and Social Council, Recalling its resolutions 1980/11 of 28 April 1980, 1980/44 of 23 July 1980 and 1981/4 of 4 May 1981, Recalling also General Assembly resolutions 35/182 of 15 December 1980 and 36/156 of 16 December 1981, Having heard the oral report of the representative of the Secretary-General on the refugee situation in Djibouti, Having heard also the relevant statement of the delegation of Djibouti on the refugee situation in that country, Appreciating the determined efforts of the Government of Djibouti to cope with the refugee situation despite its limited economic resources, Aware of the social and economic burden placed on the Government and people of Djibouti as a result of the influx of refugees and of its impact on the development and infrastructure of the country, Deeply concerned about the persistence of the food shortage in the country, which has been aggravated by the devastating effects of the prolonged drought, Noting with satisfaction the concern and continued efforts of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Children's Fund, the World Health Organization, the World Food Programme, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, and the intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and voluntary agencies which have worked closely with the Government of Djibouti in the implementation of the relief and rehabilitation programme for the refugees in Djibouti,
1. Takes note with appreciation of the oral report of the representative of the Secretary-General on the refugee situation in Djibouti;
2. Appreciates the efforts made by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to keep the refugee situation in Djibouti under constant review;
3. Requests the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to intensify his programme of humanitarian assistance to the refugees in Djibouti;
4. Requests all Member States, the organizations of the United Nations system, the specialized agencies and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations to continue to support the efforts made by the Government of Djibouti to meet the needs of the refugees and the other victims of the drought;
5. Requests the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to continue to ensure that adequate assistance programmes are organized for the refugees in Djibouti and to maintain close contacts with Member States and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and voluntary agencies concerned to mobilize the necessary assistance to the Government of Djibouti so as to enable it to cope effectively with the refugee situation, which has been further aggravated by the debilitating effects of the drought;
6. Requests the Secretary-General, in co-operation with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, to evaluate the needs and the scope of the assistance necessary to finance the relief and rehabilitation programmes for the refugees and to report to the General Assembly, at its thirty-seventh session, on the progress achieved in the implementation of the present resolution;
7. Decides to keep the question under review.