Afghan government welcomes British soldiers' arrest
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||12 October 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Afghan government welcomes British soldiers' arrest, 12 October 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/5089072023.html [accessed 20 April 2014]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
October 12, 2012
British Prime Minister David Cameron meets British soldiers based in Helmand Province earlier this year.
The Afghan government has welcomed the arrest of seven British soldiers on suspicion of murder, calling it "a good measure to prevent civilian casualties" in the country.
The comment by Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman Mohammad Zaher Azimi comes after Britain's Ministry of Defense announced that seven Royal Marines had been arrested on October 11 on suspicion of murder in relation to an incident in Afghanistan last year.
The ministry said the incident did not involve any civilians but followed "an engagement with an insurgent."
It also said the arrest didn't take place in Afghanistan.
Britain has 9,500 troops in Afghanistan – the second largest foreign force after the United States – based in the southern province of Helmand.
Based on reporting by AP Reuters, and dpa