Syria attacked second Turkish plane, say officials
|Publisher||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty|
|Publication Date||25 June 2012|
|Cite as||Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Syria attacked second Turkish plane, say officials, 25 June 2012, available at: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4ff6aa40c.html [accessed 9 October 2015]|
|Disclaimer||This is not a UNHCR publication. UNHCR is not responsible for, nor does it necessarily endorse, its content. Any views expressed are solely those of the author or publisher and do not necessarily reflect those of UNHCR, the United Nations or its Member States.|
June 25, 2012
Turkey says Syria fired on one of its airplanes that was taking part in a search-and-rescue operation for a warplane shot down by Syrian forces last week.
News agencies quoted an unnamed official at Turkey's Foreign Ministry as saying on June 25 that the plane was fired at – but not brought down – and "was forced to return to base."
The official said Turkey immediately informed Syria that its forces were attacking a rescue operation.
Earlier, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said Syria's "hostile action" would "not go unpunished."
Arinc, however, said Turkey had no intention of "going to war with anyone."
NATO will discuss the downing of the Turkish jet on June 26 in a meeting called by Turkey, which is a member state.
Based on reporting by dpa and the BBC